Tuesday, February 12, 2008

February 12th

Was speaking to other volunteers the other day about what we miss most from home (other than friends and family of course ;)). They both pined for food from home, but I haven’t had a craving for anything. The food here is fantastic. All the other Mzungus (whiteys) complain it’s too bland, which is probably why I love it. It’s all very simple: rice, pasta, chapatti (like a crepe) or ugali (thick, white square of dough) accompanying cabbage and some sort of stew of vegetables, lentils and occasionally meat. And Fruit! Oh man, I love the fruit here. Everyday in Nairobi I’d have at least 3 bananas, a mango and usually a pineapple as well, because there was a stand on my way to work. And it’s so cheap. I made a fruit salad for 6 people the other night for 95 shilling ($1.25).
I did have a boiled fermented wheat drink today that was a little strange, but everything else has been great. I drink Chai 3 or 4 times a day (half hot-water, half hot milk, some sort of tea and a lot of sugar); it’s quite good.
I guess I have craved big salads at times …. I miss Frist haha.

So the food is great, but I’d pay a lot for a 20-minute hot shower. At the volunteer house in Nairobi it was either a luke-warm trickle, or a powerful cold. A great day was a powerful luke-warm shower. Here in Maasialand, there are no showers, so at least I don’t have to suffer through a cold one haha.

No comments: