Sunday, February 24, 2008

February 24th (2)

Had traditional Maasai Soup today. I decided to try it before asking
what it was. "For desert: Monkey Brains!" Just kidding; it was goat
brains.

Here's the recipe for you at home: immediately after slaughtering the
goat, chop off its head, cleave it in half and place it in a pot with
boiling water. Add salt and coriander and let it cook until the
water, blood and brain juice mixture comes to a boil again. Then
filter out the skull and brain chunks and enjoy the liquid remains.
Of all the strange things I've eaten in the past year only this
tasted as bad as it sounds. I had two sips and felt like vomiting …
and that was before asking what it was.
You should never disrespect your host, but I felt being honest was
less disrespectful than regurgitating cranial fluids all over the
dining room.

On this continent I've also had:

Ostrich (Amazingly delicious)
Goat Stomach (edible)
Crocodile (Texture of chicken, taste of sardines … not a good combination).

No comments: