Sunday, February 17, 2008

Febraury 17

Yesterday’s Matatu experience still ranks #1 on my all time surreal and unsafe experience lists, but after today each list has a close second place (although from separate events).

I missed the Matatu back to Maasailand yesterday (although it wasn’t really my fault). So I wound up going out with my host brother and his cousin and friends. My host brother, Alfred, is 19 and as nice as can be, but his friends are a little shady, his cousin included. Alfred kept reminding me to keep my wallet safe. “My friends are nice, but they’re hustlers y’know,” he would say. I only had two beers, so as to keep my wits, but I played the role of rich whitey well buying them several pitchers ($2 a piece). I also paid some of their cover charges at the bar/club we went to to watch the Man U – Arsenal FA cup showdown (what happened there, Dustin?).

So we all got along well … perhaps too well. Around 1am, I hit a wall and discovered they were planning on all-nighting. In my youth, I might have been able to do it, but no longer. I’m also sensitive about weakening my system with all the diseases supposedly around. The club was in the basement of a hotel, so I asked about rooms … $13 for a sweet with two bedrooms and a living room. I took one bedroom, and Alfred the other. I locked my door, but left the door to the sweet open in case his friends wanted to crash on the floor there later.
Around 5am I hear a knock on my door. “Raf … RAF … open up.” It was the cousin Emmanuel.
I groggily open up to see he’s with a woman. “No way am I being sexiled now,” I’m thinking, but I respond “what do you want?”
“She’s for you.” He says as he turns to her and says, “go in there with the Mazungu [white person].”
I kid you not, he actually brought a girl for me. Now Emmanuel’s not a pimp, and she wasn’t a prostitute. I think it was just a thank-you gift for treating him well all night.
What is proper etiquette in this situation? On one hand I want to say, “What the hell are you thinking?” But he just thought he was doing me a favor (and she was either doing him a favor, or just wanted to sleep with a white man … which is not uncommon here I hear). So I just told them I was tired and going back to bed. They got the message.
As I shut and locked the door and laid back to bed I stayed awake for another 10 minutes simple shaking my head and giggling. So Surreal.



The #2 on my unsafe list was how me and Alfred got home. There are no matatus on Sunday to Maasailand. I wanted to walk the few hours (what else is there to do Sunday morning), but we ended up taking a dirt-bike taxi … one of them. Even though it probably was more safe than the Matatu, I was far more afraid. Three people on one bike with no helmets cruising along a bumpy African road. My eyes were tearing from the wind in my face, but I could have easily been crying out of fear haha.

[I have no choice whether to do the Matatu again or not, but I’m never doing the dirt-bike taxi again. And neither should you kids reading at home!]

3 comments:

Jesse said...

So, when you closed the door, which side of it was she on?

Rafe said...

The side that doesn't result in HIV

Edward said...

OH MY GOSH....so your side?